Creative CNC-Where Art and Automation Collide
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 17 of 17     «   Prev   14   15   16   17
Dan Sawatzky

Reply with quote  #241 
I'm not sure this 'contest' was ever to be judged. Who here could judge it without it being a popularity contest? The purpose of the challenge as I saw it was to inspire and motivate the participants to create a no-holds-barred display piece for their own studios. This piece would build each of our skills and also provide a showpiece that would serve us well for years to come. If you participated and completed (or soon will) you are a winner!  Some awesome pieces were created through the summer and beyond without a doubt.

I know I've seen some of the pieces published in some magazines. Hopefully the pieces were a lso entered in the various sign competitions held annually. All of our efforts were to promote our abilities and shops. Congrats to all who put forth the effort! From my perspective they are all winners.

-grampa dan

dan@imaginationcorporation.com
Dan Sawatzky

Reply with quote  #242 
I've seen pictures and articles of some of the mechanical fish in various sign magazines and suppliers blogs. It is good to see these folks promoting their businesses with the project they built. I've heard from a few of the participants that they have received projects and commissions because of their sample on display.  Well done!

In our own shop the Mechanical Fish that I built has been successful beyond my wildest dreams. It helped inspire parts of the year long project we are to do in Trinidad. That project received an OFFICIAL GREEN LIGHT today! The fish also was the basis for the design of another large project that's still pending. And late last week the CEO of our local Maritime Museum dropped in from the big city looking for ideas for some very large exhibits they are planning. On seeing the Mechanical Fish sample on my shelf his eyes lit up and he declared us to be the shop that would do the work. That's big!

[smile] We also entered our fish the annual Signs of the Times International Sign Contest and was voted FIRST PLACE in the 'UNUSUAL CATEGORY'. The publicity we get as a result would be impossible to pay for. The awards on the wall also impress customers and allow us to charge a premium price for our work.

Who's the winner of this mechanical fish competition?  All who took the time to invest in their business by designing and building a fish and then leveraging this investment to the maximum possible by promoting the result. Well done!  [thumb]

-dan

dan@imaginationcorporation.com
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!