Creative CNC-Where Art and Automation Collide
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Steve Luck

Reply with quote  #1 
Here is a sign I made for my daughter Emily's room. She loves anything tropical and especially The Polynesian Resort at Disney World where she wants to stay someday. I router cut the shape from 1" foam insulation material with a ½" pocket cut. The letters are cut separately from ½" black foamboard and attached with double-stick tape. I used Sherwin-Williams acrylic paint for the background colors. I router cut a piece of pvc (Sintra) for an insert panel and covered it with purple metallic vinyl. The surface of the foam is very textured after routing and I was wanting a smooth finish. The background graphic behind the letters is magenta vinyl. The letters are also covered with two colors of vinyl to give them a glossy finish.
This of course is a interior sign for my daughters room, so I wasn't concerned about using vinyl instead of painting everything. Besides, she is 10 years old and her taste will change several times before she becomes a teenager!

It is always fun to use the CNC router for projects like this. Cutting the shape, letters and pieces needed to make this fun sign was good practice and makes for an attractive themed piece for my daughters room.
My next project will be a sample piece for my shop of a "retired" restaurant sign that my wife and I saw on our honeymoon at Disney World in 1990. It was located in the Disney Marketplace which has been transformed into "Downtown Disney" over the years. This restaurant was called the Fireworks Factory and has become part of the Disney archives of past attractions. I always remembered the sign that they had on the side of their building and found it online one day. It had a cute tag line under the Fireworks Factory sign that said, "Dynamite Food". It was of course a 3 dimensional sign so I think it would make a clever 3D sample for my shop and remind me of the fun and great food we had there 23 years ago.

Attached Files
pdf Emily's_Polynesian_sign.pdf (64.58 KB, 56 views)

oxenham1

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Your daughters sign looks great! Please feel free to keep a build log on this forum for the Fireworks Factory sign. I love to watch other peoples processes in action!
Thanks for posing
8)
JWO

http://forums.oxenhamdesign.com/post/3d-summer-modelling-challenge-6946988?pid=1283204501#post1283204501

Dan Sawatzky

Reply with quote  #3 
Looks great Steve. Emily is sure getting BIG!  :0

-grampa dan

dan@imaginationcorporation.com
Steve Luck

Reply with quote  #4 
Yes Dan, she is sure growing up. I ask her whenever she is watching me read about your posts on facebook or other sites if she remembers painting the mural in Pontiac, IL. I show her the photo of you holding her up on the scaffolding to reach the wall and she smiles real big and says "I remember Grandpa Dan." "He let me paint his wall."

She likes to ask me if she can come to my shop instead of going to school! She likes hanging out at the shop and today (Saturday) we went up and finished her sign. She helped a lot with it and we mounted it to her bedroom wall this afternoon.

As I continue learning more about CNC and 3Dimensional signage, I am grateful for folks like you, Jamie and Doug Haffner that not only have a passion about what you do, but are willing to help others that want to expand their business to the next level. The learning curve is definitely there, but not impossible. It gets easier each time and with more practice, it will get faster and more profitable.

I am truly "Thankful" for all the help from all of you!

Sign-cerely, Steve

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!